Submission Guidelines for the 2020 Anthology
1. WHO? Submissions are welcome from any writers of any age and experience.
2. WHAT? We are happy to receive any sort of writing provided it complies with these guidelines and is about the theme (above), is original (i.e. the author’s own work), not published elsewhere and not an unattributed translation of some other work. Add a brief biographical note if you wish.
5. HOW MANY? Up to three poems, up to two stories.
6. WHEN? Until midday on Friday the 25th September - any applications received after that time will be ignored.
7. WHEN WILL I KNOW? We will notify the successful applicants by Friday 30th October.
8. WHAT DO I GET PAID? Nothing, I'm afraid, but you do get a free copy of the anthology. This is standard practice for our anthologies..
9. WHEN DOES THE ANTHOLOGY COME OUT? At the launch
10. HOW DO I BUY A COPY OF THE ANTHOLOGY? The Anthology will be available to purchase on this site .
11. WHAT SORT OF WORK GETS ACCEPTED? This varies from year to year as we change editors
Poetry needs to be worth reading. Travel or tourist poetry needs to be more than just exotic names and places. Titles need care. Poetry should be poetic in some form: No clichés. No obviously poetic words which have been done to death.
Experimental work is always welcome.
As a writer you are expected to be able to spell.
If you can’t be bothered to check your work…
Punctuation is compulsory in most prose but optional in a lot of poetry these days. Quirky devices that make writing hard to read are not recommended. Most writers who get accepted read an enormous amount. It helps.
Stories need to be well-constructed with good believable characters, an awareness of ‘show don’t tell’, dialogue that is real, a plot that moves along and an ending that is neither obvious nor ridiculously far-fetched. Too many stories are overwritten and leave nothing unexplained for the reader to work out and enjoy. All genres (within the word length) are acceptable.
12. PLEASE NOTE: The decision of the Editor is final, no conversations will be entered into and there is no appeal procedure.